Monday, March 19, 2007

ACTing

http://www.active.com/donate/act5/2007EMills

It's official, I will be fundraising for and then taking part in the ACT V ride in August of this year. Which means I will be documenting the whole crazy process here, for your reading and viewing pleasure (I hope). Hooray!

What's ACT V?

"ACT 5 is the fifth annual AIDS Network Cycles Together, the Wisconsin AIDS bike ride, to raise funds and awareness for AIDS Network. Our goals are to provide a ride that is a substantial challenge for all levels of riders, but is at the same time fun and safe. Educate the community, raise awareness, and teach tolerance about HIV/AIDS. And finally, raise the highest possible return to AIDS Network.

"ACT 5 covers four days and 300 miles on a bike. The riders are 100% supported before and during the ride."

I decided that it was high time that I put my money where my mouth is and do something good for someone else. AIDS Network is a great non-profit organization that works for people with HIV/AIDS and their families, providing health care support, counseling, legal representation, etc. And the great thing about the ACT Ride is that 89% of the funds raised go directly to the benefitting organization (AIDS Network). Most fundraising events have a return rate of something like 60%, so that's pretty awesome. They can do that because the whole event is almost completely volunteer-run. I'm really, really excited about doing the ride, though I admit it scares the crap out of me, too. And it's not just the prospect of fundraising (I'm not a fan of asking people for money, but I think this is well worthy cause). I'm pretty out of shape these days, and between that and my super fun knee problems, training and riding should be pretty damn hard. But I believe I can pull it off and whip myself back into shape in the process.

Even if you can't donate any money for my ride (but I hope you do), please consider giving either your time or money to similarly worthy organizations and causes. Every little bit counts. And wish me luck!

http://www.active.com/donate/act5/2007EMills

No comments:

The Lost Albatross