Basically, the mix is a compilation of some of my favorite songs from some of my favorite albums/releases of the past year. It's always an interesting look back at my own musical moods from the previous 12 months (I have these mixes going back to 2008 at this point - sonic time capsules!), but I also really just enjoy giving these out to friends and family and maybe hopefully even just introducing them to one or two new artists they might enjoy. When someone likes the whole mix, I'm in heaven.
So what made it this year? Check the track listing below, and please do give these songs/artists a listen and consider purchasing their work:
"At home at the end of the world: Emily's best of 2012"
- "Do It With a Rockstar" - Amanda Palmer ft. Grand Theft Orchestra, Theatre Is Evil
- "5678!" - Butterfly Boucher, Butterfly Boucher
- "Runaway Love" - Diamond Rings, Free Dimensional
- "Closer" - Tegan and Sara, Heartthrob
- "The Gravedigger's Song" - Mark Lanegan Band, Blues Funeral
- "Disparate Youth" - Santigold, Master of My Make-Believe
- "Genesis" - Grimes, Visions
- "It's Not My Fault, I'm Happy" - Passion Pit, Gossamer
- "Moves" - Gold Fields, Treehouse EP
- "Fierce" - Azealia Banks, Fantasea
- "QueenS" - THEESatisfaction, awE naturalE
- "Sunset" - the xx, Coexist
- "Make Them Laugh" - Clare and the Reasons, KR-51
- "Promiscuity" - Ani DiFranco, Which Side Are You On?
- "Unashamed Desire" - Missy Higgins, The Ol' Razzle Dazzle
- "Wicked Game" - Gemma Hayes, Wicked Game - Single
- "You Are Forgiven" - Anais Mitchell, Young Man In America
This represents a pretty decent cross-section of what I was listening to this year, though certainly not everything. The more hard rap, industrial, and punk sides of my tastes just didn't fit into this mix (maybe some day I'll make two different discs, but right now that smacks of more effort than I have time for).
My hope, as always, is that maybe even just one of these artists is new and interesting enough to you that you'll go out and buy the full record directly from them. It's as important as ever to support creative efforts and creative people by putting our money where our mouths are. I know for a fact, too, that several of these artists offer their work at pay-what-you-choose prices. So get on it! And, above all, enjoy.