Wednesday, January 16, 2008

How is this OK?

Mike Huckabee, a fairly recently legitimized candidate for the Republican nomination for president of the United States of America, recently made the following statements to a crowd of supporters in Michigan:

"I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do, is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards, rather than try to change God's standards."
How is that an acceptable thing for a candidate for the highest office in the country to say/want? May I reiterate something that I think might just be relevant?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.
Ring familiar? Yeah, that's the first line of the first amendment to the Constitution. I happen to believe that it's pretty damn important, and one of the core standards that has helped our country to become one of the most prosperous places on Earth. There have always been those who have worked to dismantle these, our most fundamental rights, but it seems to me that these efforts have increased quite a bit in recent decades. Huckabee may just be the next logical progression of this type of religious fanaticism, but I can't be the only one to draw parallels between that kind of rhetoric and that of the radical Islamists calling for the establishment of a worldwide Caliphate. Apparently Huckabee and his ilk don't quite catch the (horrifyingly ironic) similarities.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, welcome our new theocratic overlords.

Pilot said...

Huckabee is completely off base, and I believe his pal Romney would be the first to stand up and correct him. To amend the Constitution, you need ratification from 38 states... to amend the living word of god, you only need Utah (well, yes, technically the book of Mormon was supposedly found in New York.)

Sure seems like it's easier to bend the word of god after all...

Emily said...

Hey, don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

The CDP. said...

The scary thing is that he's probably going to win. Religion has everything to do with winning elections, which is almost too embarrassing to think about.

M Big Mistake said...

I had the same reaction. I guess that I've just gotten used to the fact that separation of church and state is a total myth.

The Lost Albatross