Friday, January 11, 2008

Weekenders

It's Friday night, and you feel a'right, but what to do?

Do yourself a favor and check out the CD release party/concert for A Catapult Western at Cafe Montmartre tonight, 10:00PM. My bias here is pretty minimal, as I only played drums for them over the course of about four rehearsals before we mutually decided that I was in too many bands and I went on my way. Still, they make excellent music, and are definitely one local band to watch.

Here's what the masses have to say about their debut, self-titled record:

Considering the novel draw of spaghetti-western scores, alt country, and free form indie rock, musicians were bound to start combining all three. Not all will prove as graceful as recently formed Madison band A Catapult Western. Sharing members with another ambitiously odd local act, Strange Talking Animals, ACW diffuses its vocal layers, viola, guitar, piano, and assorted other keyboard sounds through a slowcore haze. Even when it pushes into more straight-up, rocking country sounds, skewed guitars, and synths fend off genre clichés. - The Onion AV Club
If you're looking for something to do come Saturday night, you're in luck! I have one fine recommendation for you, and this one comes with a big ol' heapin' helpin' of bias.

Madison's favorite indie-pop duo return, now with drums (that'd be me) and electric guitar! It's the Buffali, sharing a fabulous bill with the Shabelles and the Treats, this Saturday night at the Crystal Corner Bar (1302 Williamson St.) starting at 9:00PM. Seriously, you should come. We're going to rock you right out of your underpants. I mean, look at me in that photo up there. Can't you just sense the cool? Or maybe that's just the reflection from my pasty leg...I can't be sure....

3 comments:

The CDP. said...

Got' damn, we have the same exact haircut and color. Looking at you is like looking into a mirror that turns my reflection into a significantly cuter girl, who's also probably a better drummer.

That's a nice-looking kit, too.

Emily said...

I think you just succeeded at simultaneously flattering and unsettling me. That's impressive.

Also my hair's a little longer on top these days (pic is from summer), but I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes.

The CDP. said...

Yeah, even as I was writing it, I was thinking to myself, "I sure hope she realizes that I'm trying to compliment her, make fun of myself and be goofy at the same time."

I should have just said you were cute and shut my fool mouth; that's all I was really trying to say.

The Lost Albatross