Monday, July 28, 2008

And I'm spent

Wow.

Really, that's about all that needs to be said. But I'll go on anyway: what an amazing weekend. I am so, so grateful to so many people, I don't quite know where to begin. 422 of 'em paid money and came to see the show, and from the incredibly loud and enthusiastic sounds they were making, I suspect that they all enjoyed themselves. Which fills me with so much joy.

We managed to run a pretty smooth tech beforehand, which, as someone who has done theatre for some years, I recognize as a bit of an anomaly. We even had time for dinner before the doors opened. All of the performers were amazing, the emcee seriously rocked the house, I actually managed to be in one of the acts and then just sit back and enjoy the rest of the show, and we turned a profit. Holy shit, right?!

My heartfelt thanks to the Madison community and everyone who came out to support these talented performers and the performing arts scene in general. It was a resounding success, and I'm still not entirely sure how I managed to pull it off. I had help, of course, and should I ever do this sort of thing again, I will make sure to have even more help. But still, wow.

Expect photos and possibly some video of the whole shindig in the future, but for now, I'll just point you to a few fine shots taken by one of our performers, the lovely Olive Talique of Cherry Pop Burlesque.

And on a completely unrelated note, should you feel so compelled to do so, you can vote for my silly little blog in the Blogger's Choice Awards, which are linked in my sidebar. I'd be much obliged (I don't have any illusions of winning, but it's fun, nonetheless).

Photo by Timothy Hughes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who went broke twice trying to do theatre, all I can say is--holy shit, indeed. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Emily, I cannot believe how much this event rocked. You really should be so so so proud of what you did. I know we all had a blast and I for one would LOVE to be a part of something like this again. And next time you can call on us locals to help you out with organizing and planning. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again for putting this on and bringing together such an amazing group of talented people. YOU RULE!!!

Emily said...

Thanks, both of you!

Anonymous said...

I'm already anticipating "Hot Mess 2: Hot Messier."

illusory tenant said...

Congratulations on your latest incarnation as a theatrical impresario. Looks like y'all had both a blast and a great turnout.

3rd Way said...

Congratulations. If it was profitable why not take it on the road? If a Mills production had a run in Milwaukee I would probably check it out.

Emily said...

See that picture up there? I'm the one in the chair, making the incredulous face. That's how I feel about the idea of doing this show again any time in the near future. :)

But no, I'd love to do this again in, say, a year? And maybe we'll take something like it to Milwaukee. But only if I manage to pull together a core organizer group, because g'damn this was a lot of work!

jen x said...

I love the picture. Big congrats on the show!

The Lost Albatross