It's that most wonderful time of year again, and frankly, after the shitshow that was 2016 generally, I'm grateful to have something to look back on that doesn't totally suck: music! In fact, a whole bunch of really excellent music came out this year--everything from iconic rappers A Tribe Called Quest riding in to the rescue, to the continued evolution of electro-pop into some really fucking lovely and dark-tinged jams from Tove Lo, to the warmly funky but deeply personal grooves of Solange and Frank Ocean.
There was so much good music, in fact, that I ended up having to do a lot of cutting in order to get a mix that fit onto an 80 minute CD. If you want the full list (which I'll likely be adding to a bit over the coming months, as I inevitably get introduced to other great music that came out in 2016) you can head over to Spotify for a listen.
The following is the pared down final mix. Obviously this doesn't include everything worthy of a year-end best-of list, but it's what I've been listening to and loving, and I hope you enjoy at least a few tracks. And please, as always, do what you can to buy these songs/albums and support the artists as much as you can.
Em's Best of 2016 Which Was Otherwise a Garbage Fire
- "True Disaster" - Tove Lo, Lady Wood
- "Same Old Blues" - Phantogram, Three
- "Don't Hurt Yourself ft. Jack White" - Beyonce, Lemonade
- "Smile More" - Deap Vally, Femejism
- "Born Again Teen" - Lucius, Good Grief
- "Worship" - Lizzo, Coconut Oil EP
- "Rendezvous Girl" - Santigold, 99cents
- "We the People..." - A Tribe Called Quest, We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service
- "Long Live the Chief" - Jidenna, single
- "U-Turn" - Tegan and Sara, Love You to Death
- "Like an Animal" - Rufus Du Sol, Bloom
- "Algo Esta Cambiando" - Bomba Estereo, Amanecer
- "Garden (ft. Jay Electronica & Aine Zion)" - Ameli Sande, Long Live the Angels
- "Make You Feel" - Alina Baraz, Urban Flora
- "Mad (ft. Lil Wayne)" - Solange, A Seat at the Table
- "Pink + White" - Frank Ocean, Blonde
- "I Can't Go On Without You" - Kaleo, A/B
- "Nobody" - Rachel Yamagata, Tightrope Walker
- "Lazarus" - David Bowie, Blackstar