Thursday, May 15, 2008

Go California! and county accountability meetings

Two things:

First, I am extremely heartened by the California Supreme Court's decision that gay and lesbian couples have the constitutional right to marry in that state. This is great news, though it does make me somewhat sad when I remember that Wisconsin is, so far, not so forward-thinking. Well, I'll be in San Francisco next week, so I'll at least get to celebrate and spread the love for a little while. Then it's back to work at home.

----

Secondly, the Dane County Board of Supervisors has announced a community meeting to help address the publics' concerns over the 911 center and how it handled the Brittany Zimmermann call. The meeting is scheduled for Monday, May 19th at 6:00PM in the lower level of the Fitchburg Community Center at 5510 Lacy Road. As I mentioned above, I'll be in SF and unable to attend this (about which I am pretty bummed), but I'm hoping that lots of other folks turn out and demand some answers. And then let me know how it went, yeah?

"Dane County 911 Center director Joe Norwick, Dane County executive Kathleen Falk, Dane County Sheriff Dave Mahoney and Madison Police Chief Noble Wray have been invited to speak at the hearing. Board members said they want to give Dane County residents an opportunity to get direct answers to questions." That would be nice.

1 comment:

jo man said...

The meeting's location, deep into Fitchburg, isn't exactly convenient for students or others without transportation, is it? I can't believe they couldn't find a place in downtown Madison..

The Lost Albatross