Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A tragic end to a great life

I didn't really know Felicia Melton-Smyth, but a number of the people in my life did. I met her only a few times, mostly during the time I was training for and then riding in last year's Wisconsin AIDS Ride. She was extremely friendly, funny and encouraging, and all of that seemed to rub off on everyone around her.

I've been told and read a lot about her: dedicated AIDS activist, caretaker, wry wit, charity fundraiser, good friend. One of those people that any community would be blessed to call their own.

So it was with a great deal of shock that I read of her death in today's news. Stabbed while on vacation in Mexico, probably as the result of a robbery attempt, Felicia and her friends and loved ones can at least rest easy that her murderer is now in custody with local police and will hopefully face appropriate punishment for his terrible crime. Still, this kind of death never makes much in the way of sense. It's just awful. My heart goes out to her and everyone who was close to her.

Please visit the website feliciamelton-smyth.com and be sure to keep an eye out for the Felicia Foundation, a charity being set up in her honor. Help make sure that this bright life is not forgotten, and support the causes she held so dear.

No comments:

The Lost Albatross