Friday, May 1, 2009

Progressively wearing myself out

My weekend started last night, when I took my handy dandy press pass and headed out for the big Progressive Magazine 100th anniversary concert at the Orpheum Theatre. Getting to see a fantastic line-up of some of your favorite folk artists for free is definitely a huge perk of being a member of the unwashed press masses.

It was, unsurprisingly, a fantastic show, and you can check out my write-up of the event over at Dane101.com and/or my set of photos at my Flickr site. Basically, it was Catie Curtis, Melissa Ferrick, Peter Mulvey, Dar Williams, the Indigo Girls, and Ani DiFranco--all in one place, and often sharing the stage to sing together. Imagine me getting the vapors and fanning myself, because I totally am.

I also had the distinct honor of writing an opinion piece that was printed in this weeks' edition of Isthmus, and you should absolutely pick up a copy and give it a read. And not just for my amazing, cutting, super intelligent discussion of the torture memos, but because it's a fine publication in general (or you can cheat and read my article online).

Today and some of tomorrow, I'll be/have been covering the actual Progressive Magazine conference. So far I've seen more heavy-hitting progressive speakers than you could shake a stick at, if you cared to do such a thing, including Wisconsin's dreamiest Senator, Russ Feingold. Look for more photos and articles about the conference, from both myself and fellow correspondent Steve Furay, over at Dane101 throughout the next few days.

In the meantime, I'm taking a nap.

2 comments:

George H. said...

Accurate assessment on the curfew. A harassment tool, nothing less.
And many, many thanks for tweaking the visibility of your print on the blog. Noticed and appreciated.
George Hesselberg

Emily said...

You're quite welcome, George. It's an ongoing process, since I'm not the best at tweaking css code, but I'm glad what changes I've been able to make have proved beneficial.

The Lost Albatross