Monday, October 1, 2007

Mode of transportation

I almost forgot a sight too good not to pass along from last Friday. I only wish I'd had a camera with me at the time.

Picture this: I'm driving down S. Bassett toward the lake. The cars in front of me are desperately trying to get around something in the road. When it's my turn to pull around it, I see what was causing the trouble. One young woman is riding her bicycle (no helmet, my inner curmudgeon notes) and she's got a long, loopy cable lock in one hand while trying to steer with the other. At the opposite end of said cable lock is another young woman, only she's riding on a longboard, her feet planted on the back half and a box of beer perched on the front half. She's being towed along the street, rather awkwardly, by the girl on the bike.

There were so many things wrong with that picture, I don't even know where to begin. I imagine it seemed like a good idea when they first conceived of it, but a whole crap load of alarm bells should have been going off in their heads the moment they got situated.

I don't wish death and/or dismemberment on anyone, really, but I can't think of a better example of Natural Selection in action in my recent memory.

No comments:

The Lost Albatross