Thursday, December 27, 2007

Admitting defeat

I am woefully ignorant when it comes to Pakistani politics. What little I know points to rampant corruption within most of the major parties and their leadership, including Benazir Bhutto. Despite their many shortcomings, however, I would never wish death upon any of them. And so it was with some shock and a great deal of sadness that I heard the news this morning that Bhutto had been assassinated.

To lash out in violence at someone you disagree with is to admit defeat. Your own ideas and actions have proven inadequate or ineffective, and so the last resort is to destroy the figurehead of your failure. Someone who really wanted positive change in their world would recognize this and depose threats through direct, non-violent action, the kind that wins over hearts and minds through real results and deference to the varied needs of the people. Simply killing someone whom you view as a threat is a cowardly move, one that will wreak far more havoc than it benefits your cause.

I hope for justice and peace for the people of Pakistan. Only time will tell, I guess.

More reading on the subject:

No comments:

The Lost Albatross