Thursday, September 20, 2007

C-c-c-criiiime!

OK, I can't help it, this post is about local politics. It happens sometimes, all right? Especially when it's an issue that I think is really, really important.

But I'm going to rely on wiser blogger's than I to make the case. Paul Soglin has this crazy idea that fighting crime in Madison involves fighting the root causes of poverty and disenfranchisement. What on Earth is he smoking? (You can read my take on it in the comments section)

I don't place all my faith in Mr. Soglin to solve the problem--it takes many ideas and many people to make something effective--but he does a good job of summing up the issues. He also does a good job of drawing the right-wingers out of the woodworks to expose their prejudices and poorly conceived ideas to the world. So that's fun.

Be sure to read his follow-up posts (and related posts about Milwaukee) here and here and here, too.

P.S. Apparently I'm not the only blogger who thinks so.

No comments:

The Lost Albatross